***Product Update October 2019 Production***
CSF’s pursuit of cooling perfection continues with improvements to The Ultimate BMW B58 High-Performance Heat Exchanger. As of October 2019, CSF has released a new and improved “Version 2.0” of the BMW B58 Heat Exchanger. Improvements include the following Three (3) key updates:
- Upgraded inlet/outlet design with new tapered entry and exit points from end tanks, resulting in optimized water flow and increased performance (matches OEM spec).*
- After extensive wind-tunnel, dynamometer (rolling-road test), and field testing, CSF engineers have improved the core spec from Version 1’s 68mm 2-row core with 8mm fin height to Version 2’s Ultra-efficient 42mm 2-row core, with CSF’s B-tube technology, and 6.5mm multi-louvered fin height. *
- Increase of 15% more cooling tubes used in the core vs. V1 design for better surface area contact and heat dissipation.
- Results in optimized airflow through the heat exchanger core and into other cooling system components for maximum performance of the entire cooling system. (Especially critical if installed in an X-Drive model with transmission oil cooler placed in front of heat exchanger)
- CSF V2 design: 2-row 42mm core vs. OEM design: 1-row 26mm core. ~62% increase in core fluid capacity
- Now includes hardware mounting kit* for applications that have a factory transmission oil cooler mounted in front of the heat exchanger (X-Drive models)
- Hardware mounting kit for applications that have transmission oil coolers (X-Drive models)
The BMW F-series B58 engine is found in a wide array of BMW vehicles (M140i, M240i, 340i, 440i). The motor is similar to the S55 engine found in the latest generation F8x M3/M4 (and new M2 competition) in that it has an indirect water-to-air charge cooling system with a supplemental front mount heat exchanger to cool the water that circulates through the charge cooler. However, unlike the S55 motor, the BMW B58 charge cooler is built into the plastic intake manifold housing. In the meantime of continued development of its high-performance manifold charge cooler, CSF has first released their new BMW B58 heat exchanger for BMW F-Series vehicles. CSF’s new high performance B58 heat exchanger drastically reduces water temperatures in the charge cooling cycle, which in turn reduces and stabilizes the intake air temperatures of the engine. With many unique features, included accessories, and of course, industry-leading performance, it’s without a doubt the best option on the market for every consumer whether it be for a daily driver or a high-performance race car.
Through several prototypes, CSF has come up with a winning design, and has been able to fit the absolute largest & most efficient cooler into the vehicle.
The original OEM B58 heat exchanger is a 1-row unit that is 27mm thick. In comparison, CSF has used its industry-exclusive world’s largest 2-row core (68mm) with CSF’s B-Tube technology. A unique tank design allows the larger CSF core to still fit into the OEM cooling system housing.
Another critical feature of the CSF BMW B58 high-performance heat exchanger is its unique triple-pass flow design. The water traveling through the upgraded heat exchanger flows through the radiator three times before exiting the cooler and flowing back into the manifold charge cooler. This ensures that the outlet water temperature of the heat exchanger is the absolute lowest it can be. The OEM design, as well as more expensive aftermarket designs, all have single-pass flow structures.
Take a look at the comparison graph done by our R&D partner and preferred dealer, Studio RSR.
You can see from the data in the chart how quickly intake air temperatures (IAT ℉) start to rise when using the OEM heat exchanger. Through only one gear pull in 4th gear at wide open throttle (WOT), IAT’s shot up by 15 degrees ℉ and will continue to climb to the point of heat soak when using the OEM heat exchanger. In comparison, the high-performance BMW B58 heat exchanger from CSF keeps temperatures stable and consistent at ~95 ℉. This is due to the three key design characteristics of the CSF unit; increased capacity, triple-pass design, and CSF’s ultra-efficient B-tube core technology.
CSF’s high performance / upgraded heat exchanger for BMW F-series B58 engines comes standard with a detachable rock guard and is also available in 2 finishes.
- Semi-Gloss Black – CSF# 8131B
- Polished – CSF# 8131
As the 3.0 Liter B58B30M0 turbo engine platform continues to be developed by the high performance industry and more power is extracted from the engine, CSF’s high performance heat exchanger for the BMW B58 engine will be a critical component to keeping the vehicle charge air cool, and out of limp mode. The CSF BMW B58 upgraded heat exchanger for F-series vehicles will be especially important to install in upgraded turbo applications and/or vehicles running high performance tuning software.
- Core size: 524mm Length x 478mm Height x 69mm Wide
- 68mm 2-row core with CSF’s B-tube technology (world’s largest 2 row core)
- 6.5 mm multi-louvered fin height
- Triple-pass flow design
- Included / detachable rock guard
- OEM CNC Machined mounting location pins and brackets
- Direct Plug and Play, including CNC machined “Quick-connect” inlet/outlet water fittings
- No Modifications needed to install.
CSF Part Numbers
- Semi-Gloss Black – CSF# 8131B
- Polished – CSF# 8131
- CSF BMW High Performance B58 Heat Exchanger
- Hardware Kit
- Detachable rock guard
OEM Part Number
- MSRP: $649 USD
- MAP – $599 USD
Verified Application Fitment
- 15-18 BMW 120i, 125i, M140i(x) (F20)
- 15-18 BMW 120i, 125i, M140i(x) (F21)
- 15-18 BMW 220i, 230i(x), M240i(x) (F22)
- 15-18 BMW 220i, 230i(x), M240i(x) (F23)
- 14-18 BMW 320i(x), 330e, 330i(x), 340i(x) (F30)
- 14-18 BMW 320i(x), 330i(x), 340i(x) (F31)
- 15-18 BMW 320i(x) GT, 330i(x) GT, 340i(x) GT (F34)
- 15-18 420i(x), 430i(x), 440i(x) (F32)
- 15-18 BMW 420i, 430i(x), 440i(x) (F33)
- 15-18 BMW 420i(x), 430i(x), 440i(x) Gran Coupe (F36)
CSF BMW B58 high performance in semi-gloss black removable rock guard installed (CSF #8131B)
Hi, I have a 2016 340i xdrive, and I don’t have the transmission cooler. Will this work with a intake scoop like the AFe one?
We have seen plenty of customers use similar intake scoops with our heat exchanger installed. We don’t not in house test every version of parts like this for compatibility, however I would assume there would be no fitment issues.
What about the g05 b58 engine, why don’t you guys have one for it?
We are continually developing new products. Product development usually follow requests we get from customers, dealers, and market research. We have not see a lot for the BMW SUV’s in general, but comments like this help us asses what we should look into developing. We cannot guarantee this will be something we produce but we will be considering it.
Hi can I know for this item can fix in G30 540i?
We don’t not currently have a front mount heat exchanger that fits the G30 Chassis.
Need wariant for bmw x5 g05 40i b58
We do not currently have a variant for the G05/G06 X5/X6 40i. However, we are continually developing new parts for a wide variety of vehicles.
– 2017 340i xdrive –
Does the upgraded heat exchanger require a a different amount of coolant compared to stock?
Yes, it has a 62% large fluid capacity. We unfortunately didn’t save the exact number of the OEM fluid volume, but you’ll want to have extra coolant on hand when installing.
Will this work for the g20 m340i xdrive
It will definitely work for the G20 M340i xdrive.
Is this B58 heat exchanger compatible with the G05 X5 40i?
Unfortunately we do not make a heat exchanger for the X5 at this time. Thanks for reaching out.
How many gallons/liters does it take to fill?
Hey guys, is this B58 heat exchanger compatible with the G05 X5 40i?
It is not, but we are working on a G-series release for summer 2020 – follow our social channels for more information
Will this work on 2017 540i with B58?
Unfortunately, this part will not fit on your 2017 540i. BMW has a different heat exchanger for the 5- and 7-Series.
Any chance for a G01/G02 version?
Can you ice this heat exchanger to get the coolant to less than ambient temps for 1/4 mile runs?
(An attachment to hold ice bags on the front would be a nice bonus…)
Yes – we are working on a G-series model for BMW / Supra.
We hope to have it ready for sale for summer 2020 – nice idea for the ice bag tray!
Hi, what is the size of the package for CSF #8131?
The package dimensions are 30in.L x 23in.H x 9in.W and 20lbs