( CSF #7208 )
Classic cars have been incredibly important to the enthusiast community for decades. For almost as long as there have been gearheads, there have been older gearheads looking to hold onto a part of their youth. That nostalgic feeling we get from owning or seeing something from our youth is a huge serotonin spike. Those warm fuzzy feelings just don’t stir within us when we see newer cars. Now that the generation of car enthusiasts that grew up loving 80’s and 90’s Audi models are starting to restore and update these often overlooked classics, CSF is here to help.
CSF works closely with some of the biggest players in the industry. People such as Ken Block, Brian Scotto (Founder & CEO of Hoonigan), Jason Whipple (Founder of Rotiform), and Diego Azevedo (Owner of AMS Autowerks) are all avid classic Audi fans. Through discussions about projects and builds they were working on, it came to CSF’s attention that there were no high quality performance radiators for many classic Audi 5-Cylinder models. Cars such as the B2, B3, B4, and Quattro. On top of that, the OEM is no longer available for the most sought after and highly desirable B4 S2/RS2. If you own one of these vehicles, you know the only real options for radiators are the hard to find OEM, budget quality aftermarket replicas, or poorly designed aluminum models, until now. Introducing the CSF #7208 All-Aluminum High-Performance Radiator Classic & Small Chassis Audi 5-Cylinder models.
Design & Engineering
When CSF initially began designing this Audi radiator, the initial target vehicle was the legendary Audi Quattro. Well known for its prowess and racing pedigree, it seemed like the obvious choice for our first 5-Cylinder radiator. However, it did take much digging to realize the radiator for the Quattro was very similar to the radiator of other classic 5-Cylinder Audi models of that era. With this in mind, the CSF Engineering team immediately began working on a model that would fit a wider variety of platforms.
CSF reached out to iABED Industries for their deep knowledge and expertise with older Volkswagen and Audi vehicles. The collaborative effort has resulted in a modular design that can be set up to fit the widest variety of vehicles possible. The CSF #7208 can be set up to be used with or without the Auxiliary Radiator. Multiple fan shroud mounting points allow factory fans from all applications to be mounted without modifications. The top end tank has multiple overflow pipe connection points for factory configuration on all applications. In addition, CSF designed the core with reinforcement straps for additional strength and rigidity. This feature is especially critical due to the vertical mounting configuration and location.
CSF vs OEM & other Aftermarket
The original OE radiator from Audi was a brazed copper and brass design. While generally accepted as good quality and durable, heat exchanger technology has progressed significantly over the decades since these cars were released. Obviously older turbocharged vehicles require the best possible cooling systems but NA engines also benefit from improved cooling efficiency. Anyone who has restored/updated a classic car knows the value of having updated parts that are as efficient as possible.
The CSF radiator features a 2-Row 42mm aluminum core that not only increases the fluid capacity of the radiator, but also improves the cores ability to dissipate heat. CSF’s Exclusive B-Tube Technology increases the heat transfer by approximately 15% over regular oval welded tubes. In addition, the super-efficient multi-louvered fins maximize airflow through the core for the best possible performance. CSF’s thin ultra efficient core allows the radiator to be mounted in the factory location with original ducting and requires no modifications or cutting. In contrast, other aftermarket aluminum radiators on the market use a massive 3-row core that requires modifications and cutting to install.
The TIG-Welded 100% All Aluminum construction increases the overall strength of the radiator. This improves durability and longevity so you can be confident it will hold up to hard driving conditions. Additionally, the satin black finish gives the radiator a clean OEM look.
Installed on Lia Block’s 1985 Audi UR-Quattro
Lia Block (daughter of drift legend Ken Block) recently began restoring and building her 1985 Audi Ur-Quattro. CSF was able to get her one of the first #7208 Radiators and received nothing but positive feedback after the install and initial shakedown. Check out the series on Ken Block’s YouTube Channel.
Audi Classic & Small Chassis 5-Cylinder High-Performance All-Aluminum Radiator Features (CSF #7208)
- 2-Row, 42mm Ultra-High-Performance Dual Pass Core
- Cooling Tubes with CSF’s Exclusive B-Tube Technology
- 6.5mm Tall Ultra Efficient Fins with a Multi-Louvered Design for Maximum Surface Area Contact
- CNC Machined Mounting Brackets and OEM Style Inlet/Outlet
- 100% All Aluminum TIG-Welded Construction
- Satin Black Finish for OEM+ Look
- True Plug-and-Play “Drop-in Fit” Installation Requires Absolutely No Modifications
- Individually Leak and Pressure Tested
- Modular design for use with or without Auxiliary Radiator
- Multiple Fan Shroud Mounting Points for use with all Fans (incl. High Performance RS2 Model)
- Multiple overflow pipe locations on top end tank for different model variations
- Sensor ports are M22x1.5 (if your OEM Sensor is an early model M20x1.5 please be aware you will need an adapter)
- 2-Year Limited Warranty
- 82-87 Audi UR-Q – 10V (WR/WX/GV/MB)
- 89-90 Audi UR-Q – 20V (RR/KW)
- 86-88 Coupe GT (KX)
- 01.91-12.92 Audi CQ (NM)
- 01.91-12.92 Audi CQ (7A)
- 01.91-12.92 Audi S2 (3B)
- 01.93-07.95 Audi S2 (ABY)
- 01.80-07.83 Audi 4000S / 80 (JL/WE)
- 08.83-07.87 Audi 4000S / 80 (WR)
- 08.86-07.89 Audi 80/90 2.3 10V (NG)
- 08.89-09.91 Audi 80/90 2.3 20V (7A)
- 01.93-07.95 Audi S2 – 2.2T (ABY)
- 09.91-07.95 Audi 80 / Avant Quattro (NG)
- 01.93-07.95 Audi S2 – 2.2T (ABY)
- 04.94-07.95 Audi RS2 – 2.2T (ADU)
- 06.91-08.00 Audi Cabriolet (NG)
- OEM Part Numbers:
- Audi: 893121251G (Quattro / B2 / B3 / B4)
- Audi: 893121251S (B4 S2 / RS2)
- MSRP: $699.00 USD /MAP: $649.00 USD
Where to Buy
CSF’s Preferred Dealer